Acoustics & Vibration Consultancy Services in Luxembourg and Across Europe
We Have Helped Companies in All Sectors Solve Noise and Vibration Problems for More Than 20 Years
With unrivalled expertise in the field of vibro-acoustics, backed by more than 20 years’ practical experience, Soft dB is proud to offer consultancy services and innovative technological solutions across Europe. We employ more than 100 staff, which includes thirty engineers who are specialists in acoustics and vibration. Our dedicated workforce pool their accumulated knowledge and collective know-how to solve any problem related to:
- Architectural acoustics (buildings, open- and closed office layouts, auditoriums, etc.);
- Environmental acoustics (compliance studies, data mapping and studies monitoring the impact on acoustic environments, projections detailing the post-implementation effect of sound attenuation measures, etc.);
- Acoustics & vibration levels in industry and construction (monitoring and assessment of the integrity of structures and equipment, human perspectives, researching effective mitigation measures, etc.);
Comfort and Speech Privacy in Open and Closed Office Layouts
The creation of larger and more affordable workspaces can mean acoustic considerations are often considerably downplayed during the design phase. Nevertheless, this can have a major influence on the well-being and productivity of employees. Some rooms are also designated as spaces for sharing confidential information, but it is not always easy to assess their effectiveness and thus guarantee that conversations cannot be easily overheard outside these rooms.
Thanks to Class 1 certified instruments designed by Soft dB, our acoustic technicians can evaluate the levels of comfort and confidentiality in your offices, in accordance with the designated norms and standards applicable in your country. If you should fail to meet the targets recommended in the literature, we can help you to improve the level of comfort in your office environments, and ensure you achieve the necessary level of confidentiality. And above all, keep your costs to the minimum by avoiding needless expense.
Environmental Studies and Noise Monitoring
Whether it is caused by transport (road, rail and aviation), industrial- or construction sites, external noise is always subject to regulation. This is invariably a public health issue because environmental noise can have significant effects on the health and well-being of humans.
We have the necessary skills to conduct comprehensive environmental studies, including:
- A full-scale acoustic characterisation of sound sources
- Modelling of the sound propagation environment
- The plotting of sound maps
- Ranking of noise sources based on their contribution to the soundscape
- Mitigating measures designed to ensure compliance with regulations
In addition, Soft dB has developed its own unattended measurement stations which allow for real-time monitoring of noise levels, vibrations, traffic trends, weather and dust concentrations. A technology created to understand the real long-term impact on the soundscape, including advanced reporting and notifications to continuously inform decision makers about reducing or shutting down specific equipment.
Vibro-Acoustic Consultancy Services in Industry
On a typical industrial site there are acoustic sources which can affect the comfort and health of the workforce, as well as vibratory sources which can influence the integrity of other systems (equipment and/or structures), and can themselves also radiate noise.
In such circumstances, on-site measurements are used to formulate a better understanding of the propagation paths as well as the vibratory and acoustic behaviours of any system elements. However, where this is part of a design process, or when complex measurements are involved, numerical calculations based on analytical models or even finite elements can be used to predict system behaviour and to refine and implement mitigation measures.
Product Development in Acoustics and Vibrations
Soft dB is heavily involved in R&D projects arising from vibratory and acoustic problems which cannot be solved by conventional methods. And because we have significant numbers of staff who have led or participated in innovative research projects (more than a dozen PhDs, for example), Soft dB is not only in a position to broaden the scope of its operations (to include vibro-acoustics, aeroacoustics, imaging, etc.), but also optimally equipped to recommend expedient solutions designed to address your current problems.
How Can We Help?
Ensure Compliance With Noise Regulations Enforced in Your Local Area
In Luxembourg, as in Belgium, systems radiating noise beyond the confines of a site cannot exceed a certain noise level (measured in decibels) in the immediate vicinity of that site. Acceptable limits specified in laws, regulations, decrees or other legislative documents are collated under the respective national or regional environmental codes applicable.
In Luxembourg, the two primary regulations presently governing environmental acoustics are:
- Grand-ducal regulation of 13 February 1979 on noise levels in the immediate vicinity of business establishments and construction sites;
- Grand-ducal regulation of 16 November 1978 on sound levels for music within establishments and their vicinity.
Soft dB can help you with administrative procedures such as an environmental permit application, an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), or a request seeking authorisation for a classified facility (commodo/ incommodo procedure).
In Belgium, the present federal regulations, which address noise issues according to the sector of activity, are:
- Racing sport: Royal decree of 10 June 1976;
- Music: Royal decree of 24 February 1977;
- Measurement of construction equipment: Royal decree of 16 June 1982;
- Household devices : Royal decree of 29 April 2001;
- Equipment for use outdoors: Royal decree of 6 March 2002;
- Placing on the market of machinery: Royal decree of 12 August 2008.
The Flemish, Walloon and Brussels-Capital regions have reviewed some of these regulations and implemented other regulations in the form of orders, decrees or even VLAREM II in Flanders. Here again, Soft dB can help with administrative procedures such as an environmental permit application.
Levels of Exposure to Noise and Vibration in the Workplace
As an employer, it is your responsibility to ensure the health and safety of your employees. And each and every instance of excessive exposure to noise and/or vibration can have a significant effect on the health of individuals. In industrial contexts, the limits of exposure which must never be exceeded, as well as the values beyond which an employer must take remedial action are clearly regulated throughout Europe. Nevertheless, the assessment of noise and vibration exposure levels can be a complex issue, which is why Soft dB offers you a range of professional services from the evaluation of exposure levels to the recommendation of appropriate attenuation measures to safeguard the health of your workforce.
Real-Time Monitoring Solution for Noise, Vibrations, Dust, Traffic and Weather
You can only control what you can measure. Our real-time monitoring solution helps decision makers take the guesswork out of noise and vibration mitigation, regardless of industry or project type. With reliable acoustic data collected 24/7 and accessible through a simple web-based dashboard, you’ll always know when and where to take corrective action to remain compliant with local noise regulations.
Our Acoustical Consulting and Engineering Services
- Speech privacy and sound masking in office environments
- Compliance with EU regulations and local codes on environmental noise and employee exposure
- Remote measurement and real-time monitoring of environmental noise emissions
- Implementation of noise and vibration reducing measures
- Acoustical imagery and noise mapping
- Noise and vibration engineering
- Soundproofing solutions for machines
- Engineering in active noise control
- Acoustic product design and optimization
Contact Our Acoustical Engineers Today
Successfully managing the impacts from noise and vibrations starts with our unique field expertise. No acoustics challenge is too small or too complex for our team of experts.